17
I tried many times, but I could not do it.
我试了很多次,但是没有成功。
Then one day I was lucky. I made some new pots and put them in a very hot fire.
然而有一天我走运了。我制了几个新罐子把它们放在旺火里。
They changed color, but did not break.
它们变了颜色,但是没有。
I left them there for many hours, and when they were cold again, I found that they were hard and strong.
我把它们放在那儿好几个小时,当它们再次冷却下来,我发现它们既坚硬又牢固。
That night I was very happy.
那晚我非常高兴。
I had hot water for the first time on the island.
在这岛上我第一次喝到了热水。
By then, I also had my own bread. That was luck, too.
从那时起,我自己也有了面包。这是一件幸运的事。
One day I found a little bag.
一天我找到了一个小袋子。
We used it on the ship, to keep the chicken’s food in.
在船上我们用它来存放小鸡饲料的。
There was still some of the food in the bag, and I dropped some of it onto the ground.
在那些袋子里还放了一些食物,我把它们全部倒在地上。
A month later I saw something bight green there, and after six months I had a very small field of corn.
一个月后我看见一些亮绿色的幼苗,六个月后我便有了一块非常小的庄稼地。
I was very excited. Perhaps now I could make my own bread!
我很激动。或许现在我可以制自己的面包了。
It was easy to say, but not so easy to do.
这些说起来容易,做起来却不容易。
It is a lot of work to make bread from corn.
从谷物到面包需要很多工作。
Many people eat bread, but how many people can take corn from a field and make bread out of it without help?
很多人吃面包,但又有多少人可以无需帮助地种出谷物又生产出面包呢?
I had to learn and to make many new things, and it was a year before I cooked and ate my first bread.
我不得不学着去做而却去做很多新的东西,在我的烤出并食用我的第一个面包时又过了一年。
未完待续!~